Today I would like to share a recipe that my Slavic community constantly uses and one that I have grown up with. This is organic homemade juice, with no additives, no high fructose corn syrup, and no concentrate or chemicals that may harm you, your family, and your little ones.
Once my son started eating and drinking liquids other than breast milk, I really wanted to be able to give him juice but something that was healthy and beneficial to him not just taste good and be harmful. I remembered how my mom and aunts would always make juice at home and it was delicious. This juice can be made with all sorts of fruits, whether one type of fruit or multiple fruit. I usually use apples as a base for my juice and tend to add strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, or whatever fruit I have on hand. Even just apples is satisfying to quench your thirst.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED (Sizes can be adjusted)
- 2 gallon pot
- 1 gallon of water
- 13 medium sized apples,
- A handful of blueberries
- A handful of blackberries
- A handful of raspberries
- Bring water to a boil
- While water is boiling, cut apples into slices, the skin can stay on
- Once water is brought to a boil, place all fruits into the water and cover
- Let the fruit boil in the water for about 20-30 minutes.
- Pour the juice through a strainer or cheese cloth to separate the boiled fruit from the juice.
- The juice will be hot. I usually pour into a big mixing bowl
- Once strained pour into a air tight jar if not drinking right away.
- For a stronger taste to develop, let it sit for a couple hours or even a couple days.
- If drinking right away, let it cool down and add sugar to sweeten.